Tuesday, February 7, 2012

MANAGER or MESSENGER?


I am assigned the position of site manager. As such, I am tasked to ensure that activities at the site are done according to international standards and company SOPs so that everyone is kept safe and protected. Also, being a site manager makes me the point of contact between the site and upper management. Theoretically.

I’ve always thought that managers are accorded a certain degree of autonomy and a free hand when handling people and activities at the site. One becomes a manager because he has skills required for the post. A manager gets to call the shots as long as these are compliant to rules, standards and SOPs. Upper management, a.k.a. your boss (sometimes inappropriately termed your “mentor”) does not step in as long as there is compliance, timelines are met and deliverables are delivered.  

Yes, I am a site manager.  I know I am.

So you can understand why I am irked when my boss contacted my site directly for additional questions, something that was mine to do, something that could have waited the next day. It was not urgent at all. Worse, he told the site “If you need any of my assistance do feel free to let me know.  He could have at least said, “If you need any of my assistance do feel free to let me or my site manager know.

Now he is asking me to follow-up with the site for information for which he contacted them directly to begin with.

Calling upper management…

Did you really hire a manager? Or just needed a messenger? Because I sure as Hades know what I applied for.

No comments:

Post a Comment